Staying warm throughout the winter is no small task, especially in the frigid cold of Portland. With freezing temperatures, snow, and ice all being quite common, the last thing you want to have to deal with is a cold house. However, that’s exactly what you’ll have to deal with if your furnace gives out on you. Replacing an old furnace is a huge job, and requires a considerable amount of experience, knowledge, and training to do properly. That means you should depend on a professional, and those who need a furnace service team in the Portland area know they can trust A-TEMP Heating, Cooling & Electrical for a job done right.
Need a new furnace? Call the Portland furnace installation pros at A-TEMP Heating, Cooling & Electrical at (503) 694-3396 today!
A-TEMP Heating, Cooling & Electrical is a name that has become known for quality, reliability, and outstanding customer service. When it comes to furnace installation in Portland and the surrounding communities, we’ve handled jobs both large and small for many different shapes and sizes of homes. We’re your number-one source for all your heating needs—we install premium-quality systems that are perfectly sized to your home and your budget, and we always use professional-grade materials and components to ensure that your system exceeds our rigorous standards of quality. We’re passionate about what we do, and as a small business we’re homeowners that live in our community too. That means we understand the stress of needing a new furnace, and we do everything we can to remove it.
Do you need a new furnace? Will repairing your existing furnace keep it running longer? This is often a difficult question for the average person to answer. Your Portland home’s comfort system is one of the most important pieces of equipment in your house. Keeping track of how efficiently and effectively your furnace or heat pump is running is crucial in knowing when it is time to replace it before repairs become too expensive, or it becomes unsafe to operate. There are a few factors which may influence whether repair or replacement is the optimal choice. For newer systems, a repair is most likely the way to go, but there are other factors which can influence your decision.
When to Replace a Furnace:
- Your system is getting up in age (10 years or older) - Furnaces generally have a lifespan of 16 to 20 years. If your system is less than 12 years old, and you have maintained it properly, you can probably rest easy. If your system is over 16 years old, or if it has not been regularly inspected and maintained, it may be time to start shopping
- The cost of your repair is a significant portion of replacing the entire system - Just like a car, home comfort systems will need repairs more often as they get older. If you have had a repair in the past couple of years, did you need to wait for parts? The older a system gets, the more difficult it is to get the parts to fix it. Waiting for that part during a cold snap could feel like a very long time.
- Your energy bills have been steadily increasing - If your gas or electric bills are showing higher usage, or have suddenly spiked, it could be that your older furnace is working overtime to maintain the temperature in your home. Working harder often means that the system will run longer, costing you more.
- Your system has longer cycle times due to decreased heating ability - Are some rooms in your Portland home too cool while others are uncomfortably warm? Are you adjusting the thermostat more often to find a pleasant temperature? An older heating system that is losing efficiency can struggle to maintain temperature throughout the house.
- Your system is making odd rattling or banging noises - If your system is making unusual noises, banging sounds, rattling or squealing, it can signal that the end is near. If you hear the blower running excessively or it is sometimes blowing cold air, this is another sign that the furnace could be nearing a breakdown.
Improvements to furnace technology has resulted in much more efficient heating systems. Updating your old furnace will keep your home warm, and new furnaces cost less to run. The savings in your home heating costs can help recoup the cost of the installation. Our Portland furnace installation technicians can evaluate your home heating needs and recommend furnaces that are the right size for your home.
How to Size a Furnace
To correctly size a new furnace for your home, you will need to take into consideration the size of your property, in square footage, and the BTU’s (British Thermal Units) required. This determines how much heat the furnace produces. Other factors that may contribute as well include: the climate of your area, how many windows you have, the current state of your insulation, and the number of rooms and floors in the property. Proper sizing of a furnace is incredibly important when investing in a new system.
Dangers of an Incorrectly Sized Furnace:
- Undersized Furnace – If your system is too small for your home it will have to work harder and continuously run to adequately heat your property. This will result in a decrease in comfort, inconsistent heating, and eventually a breakdown from the system being overworked.
- Oversized Furnace – When a furnace is too large, it often becomes too powerful for the home. The furnace may begin to short-cycle, turning on and off abruptly, as it does not require the same amount of time to heat the property. This constant cycling on and off will lead to wear and tear on the system, resulting in more frequent repairs and a decrease in energy efficiency.
However, ensuring your new furnace is the correct size for your space isn’t the only factor you will need to take into consideration when purchasing a new heating system. The type of furnace and fuel source, whether it be gas or electric, the make, model, and desired level of energy efficiency will need to be determined. We recommend consulting with one of our expert furnace installation technicians who can walk you through the process to ensure you choose the best system for you and your home.
We Work Hard to Exceed Expectations
We Believe in Treating People Right
We Have Decades of Experience
Keep Your New System Running Great
Want to keep your new furnace running smoothly and make the most of your substantial investment? Make sure to maintain it with professional maintenance from our Portland furnace service professionals! These furnace maintenance services are designed to keep your system healthy and running happily all season long. That means lower energy costs, fewer costly and frustrating breakdowns, and more warmth and heat for less money out of your pocket! Read more about our Comfort Club.
“Call them. You won't be disappointed.”- Sara T.
“Great work!”- Dave & Anne (the meatball guy)
“GREAT JOB WYLIE!!! (and A-Temp too)”- Pat
“I regard Lee as a valuable representative of your company.”- Bob T.
“They are an excellent team”- Marolyn H
“Great work”- Bobby Rudolph