Are your wires frayed? Do your lights occasionally flicker on and off? Or maybe you’re sick of having outlets that are cracked and falling apart?
If you have questions about your electrical system, you may be able to benefit from a professional electrical inspection. At A-TEMP Heating, Cooling & Electrical, our skilled electricians perform inspections to improve safety and comfort in your home, while also suggesting potential upgrades that can help your electrical equipment function more seamlessly overall. Keep reading to learn more about the benefits of a professional electrical inspection, and remember that you can count on our team for your essential electrical service needs.
The Top 5 Reasons to Have Your Home Inspected by a Professional Electrician
- Locate Fire & Electrocution Hazards: Unlike other home services, you should never go the DIY route when it comes to your electrical system. Amateur electrical work is not only likely to make your problems worse, it may end up putting your entire household in danger. At A-TEMP Heating, Cooling & Electrical, our electrical inspections are designed to locate potential hazards in your electrical system, so you don’t have to. This can include examining and replacing wires that have been chewed on by rodents, inspecting appliances that are out of date and may pose a potential fire risk, or locating damage in your system that could lead to electrocutions. Remember, safety is paramount when it comes to all things electrical, speaking of which…
- Test Safety Equipment: In most homes, the biggest electrical hazard is not actually damaged equipment, but safety devices that are no longer operational. Our electricians will test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are up to code. We will also guarantee your surge protector is working properly. Plus we will verify that your AFCI and GFCI outlets are functioning as they are supposed to.We understand that most homeowners live busy lives and it can be easy to forget about these devices—plus with the assistance of a professional electrician, you will never have to worry about damaging your equipment or putting yourself in an unsafe position by testing it yourself.
- Confirm Grounding Systems Are Operational: A grounding system, sometimes called an “earthing” system is a backup pathway that provides an alternate route for electrical current to flow through in case of emergency. This equipment literally sends electrical current to the ground, so it does not unexpectedly flow to your electrical equipment, leading to fire or shock. A GFCI, or “ground fault circuit interrupter” outlet requires a functioning grounding system to work properly, making this an extremely important part of any electrical inspection. The specifics of your grounding system can affect the safety and electromagnetic capability of the rest of your equipment, so again, this is not something you can just check on your own. Only a professional electrician will be able to determine whether your grounding system is in good working condition, or whether it needs an update.
- Check Electrical Panel Condition: Your electrical panel is at once the heart and the brain of your electrical system. This is what all the circuits in your home flow through, so without it, your home will not be able to get the power it needs. Signs that your electrical panel needs to be repaired or replaced include the smell of burning, strange crackling, popping, or buzzing sounds, frequently tripped circuit breakers, visible rust or other damage, flickering lights, or warmth coming off your electrical panel when you touch it. Again, your electrical panel is an extremely important and delicate piece of equipment, so if you notice these signs, contact a professional electrician right away. Between the 1960s and 1990s, homes with Federal Pacific Electric or Zinsco brand panels often experienced electrical fires or even electrocutions, so it is also a good idea to call for a safety inspection if you do not know how old your panel is.
- Help Design Improvements: At the end of the day, all anyone wants is an electrical system that works consistently and does not provide any safety hazard. That’s why if your electrical appliances are no longer providing the comfort and functionality you need, or worse, may be posing an active safety threat, it is a good idea to upgrade them. At A-TEMP Heating, Cooling & Electrical, our team can help you upgrade to energy-efficient LED lights, in addition to installing lighting fixtures and security lighting that are aesthetically pleasing and help protect your home. We can also provide you with new ceiling fans that look great, provide additional cooling power, and present a sense of light and beauty to any room. And if you are still using outdated equipment like fuses instead of circuit breakers, we can perform a changeover so your panel and the rest of your electrical system are up to date, easy to use, and completely energy-efficient. Call today to learn more about how we can improve your home with an electrical inspection, and start enjoying the consistent electrical performance you deserve.
A-TEMP Heating, Cooling & Electrical can be reached by phone at (503) 694-3396, or you can simply click here to contact us online. And remember to ask us about available specials and discounts, as well as information about our Comfort Club maintenance program!