With record-setting, triple-digit temperatures here in Portland, A-TEMP Heating, Cooling & Electrical is working tirelessly to keep the members of our community safe and comfortable. In fact, we are receiving more calls than ever from residents looking to install new ACs or replace their existing units. Our team anticipates that temperatures will to continue to rise this weekend and on into next week, so we want you to know that we are ready as always to meet your comfort needs. Continue reading for some of our best tips for staying cool during a heatwave and preventing an AC breakdown.
How to Keep Your Home Cool through the Heatwave
With temperatures on the rise, it can be difficult to stay cool. Air conditioning equipment is really only designed to keep homes approximately 20° cooler than the outside temperature, which might not be quite enough once temperatures reach the triple digits.
To ensure your home stays as cool as possible, we recommend:
- Running your AC all day, even if when you are gone
- Setting your thermostat to “On” instead of “Auto”
- Keeping all of your air registers open
- Closing your windows and blinds
- Keeping your garage door shut
- Using interior fans
- Avoiding using your stove or oven during the hottest time of the day
- Keeping your thermostat set to 75°
How to Avoid an AC Breakdown This Summer
At A-TEMP Heating, Cooling & Electrical, your comfort is our priority. That last thing we want is for you to be caught in this heatwave without a functioning air conditioner. Luckily, there are a few things you can do to ensure your system is prepared to beat the summer heat.
Below are some of our best tips for avoiding an AC breakdown this summer:
- Check your air filter often and replace it when it is dirty
- Make sure nothing is blocking your outside AC unit
- Never place anything on top of your outside AC unit
- Remove any items that are restricting the airflow of your air registers
- Schedule a professional inspection at the first sign of an AC problem
- Never skip out on annual maintenance
Signs You Need an AC Repair
Whether due to extreme temperatures, a lack of maintenance, old age, or extensive use, the occasional AC repair is to be expected. If your system starts acting up, we recommend giving us a call right away. Ignoring problems with your AC, even those that appear to be minor, can cause serious damage down the line.
Signs you need to schedule an AC repair include:
- No cold air
- Short cycling
- Weak or inconsistent airflow
- Burning smells
- Loud sounds coming from the AC unit
- A sudden spike in energy bills
- Excessive humidity
- Water leaking from the AC unit
Call A-TEMP Heating, Cooling & Electrical Today!
As a family owned and operated company, A-TEMP Heating, Cooling & Electrical understands the importance of a comfortable home and happy family. Since opening our doors 50+ years ago, we have remained committed to offering the most efficient and effective heating, air conditioning, and electrical services so you can rest easy knowing your home is taken care of.
This summer, turn to us for your every air conditioning need, including:
Don’t settle for any less than the stellar service you deserve. Call A-TEMP Heating, Cooling & Electrical today at (503) 694-3396 to learn how we can keep your family cool this summer!