Energy Conservation Tips for Summer
No matter what time of the year, we can all do our best to conserve energy. During hot weather the following 8 tips will help you conserve keeping you comfortable in your own home.
- Clean or replace air filters - AC filters that are dirty will cause your cooling unit to work longer and harder, eventually you will be spending more money than necessary.
- If your unit is getting old, consider an air conditioning replacement - This is financial investment initially, however in the long run; an AC replacement will be worth the investment as you will save on your utility bill as well as maintenance and repair expenses.
- Make sure your home is properly insulated and sealed - If your windows are in poor condition, you’ll want to consider replacing them with double-pane windows. Check your wall insulation as well, and replace it where necessary.
- Operate your major appliances in the evening - Dishwashers and dryers produce a lot of heat. It is best to operate these appliances when the outside temperature is cooler. Set your dishwasher to an “air dry” setting instead of using heat dry mode. This will keep your kitchen cooler. Line dry your clothes when possible.
- Plant more trees around the house - Trees provide shade which will keep your home cooler on the inside. Plant the shade trees on the south and west exposures of the home. This will offset the hottest angles of the sun during the day this will also help in the cool months as well.
- Shade your windows during the daytime - The light from the sun can heat up a room quickly. That’s a good thing in the winter but an energy guzzler in the summer. Consider window treatments that filter out most of the glare while allowing light to come in at the same time.
- Set your thermostat to a higher temperature - If you’re normally comfortable at 75º then set the temperature to 80º or even 82º. If you have ceiling fans in the house, use them. You will feel cooler with the fans moving air around then you would feel in stagnant air. You will also use less electricity than you would if using the AC unit only.
- Have your air conditioning unit professionally tuned-up once a year - Annual air conditioning maintenance services can help your AC system operate more efficiently, saving you money on your utility bill every month.
If you need help with general AC maintenance or are looking for more tips on how to improve your system’s energy efficiency, call A-TEMP at (503) 694-3396 or contact us online!